i ADORE Chai tea's & Latte's, so when @JunkandPo on twitter posted about these, i ust had to jot it down in my baking book. She pretty much used a basic vanilla cupcake mix, & added a couple teaspoons of chai tea.
My first round, didn't turn out very 'chai-ey', & that was using 4 teaspoons.
Second time round, i tripled the dosage of chai (12 heaped teaspoons) & also added a few shakes of cinnamon powder, and a slight sprinkle of nutmeg. Now these turned out PERFECT! Loved them.
Chai cupcake batter
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup caster sugar
1.5 cups self raising flour
0.5 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla essence
12 heaped tsp of Arcadia's Chai tea powder
5 shakes of cinnamon
1 sprinkle of nutmeg
1. Pre-heat oven to 175'c
2. Place baking cases in muffin tins
3. Place all ingredients into a bowl & beat with electric whisk until smooth & pale, about 2 or 3 minutes
4. Spoon mixture into cases and bake for about 14-16 minutes
5. Remove tray from oven & cool for 5 minutes
6. Remove cupcakes from tray, and cool for another 20 mins
Chocolate buttercream frosting
0.75 cup unsalted butter, softened
0.5 cup milk
1 tbs vanilla extract
8 cups icing sugar
0.5 cup cocoa powder
1. Cream the butter for 2-3 minutes, until pale & smooth
2. Add milk, vanilla extract, & haf the icing sugar & beat for another 2-3 miutes
3. add the cocoa powder, and remaining icing sugar, beat for a further 2 minutes until light & fluffy & of spreadable consistency
Add milk if it's too dry, or extra icing sugar if it is too wet.