I was browsing Lorraine's site one day at work and bookmarked a whole lot of recipes i wanted to try out, and this is the first of a few. I love cupcakes, and i love donuts!
I'll probably make them again, & hopefully the photo's will turn out nicer in my lightbox :)
The donuts were really soft & fluffy on the inside and i put a tablespoon instead of a teaspoon of jam hehe.
Original Recipe from here.
- 300g (2 cups) self-raising flour
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 80ml (1/3 cup) vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 175ml/6 fl oz buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 tablespoons good-quality strawberry jam
To brush on top and then roll
- 100g/3.52 ozs unsalted butter
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and line a cupcake tray.
2. Sift the flour into a medium bowl, then add a pinch of salt and the caster sugar. In a jug, combine the vegetable oil, egg, buttermilk and vanilla extract. Add to the dry mixture and stir to only just combine. It will be thick and puffy. Place a tablespoonful of the mixture in each muffin hole and make an indent in the centre. Fill each indent with a teaspoon of the strawberry jam.
3. Cover the jam with the remaining cupcake batter. I found that these slightly overflowed and that the tops stuck together but then after taking it out, it contributed to the puffy donut look. Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly.
4. Meanwhile, melt the butter and cool slightly. Combine the extra sugar and the cinnamon in a large bowl. When the muffins are cool enough to handle, brush each muffin lightly with the melted butter, then roll in the cinnamon sugar. Serve while still a little warm.