I've always loved banana bread, ocassionally (& i say occasionally because i'm almost always watching what i eat) i will buy a slice if i see them at a cafe, but NEVER from gloria jeans, but Starbucks makes them pretty nice ( i think they also have a coconut loaf which is yummy aswell).
Not long ago my girlfriend Nhuy came past with some home made dark choc chip banana bread, which was so delicious! I found this recipe online and made a loaf myself.
Being my first time, i was nervous and forgot to bring the temp down to 200c after i put the tin in the oven - so it browned too quickly too much - and was slightly dry but a zap in the microwaved revived it (thanks to the dark chocolate bits) and a thick layer of peanut butter completely rid me of any worries in the world :P
tip: because i have an oven with a heating element (but im sure you can use this trick on a conventional gas oven) i like to put the temp as high as it can go so that it heats up quicker - then drop the temp down to what is required before putting in any unbaked goodies - saves time :)
250g plain flour
2.5 teaspoons baking powder
big pinch of salt
125g dark or milk chocolate, finely chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup caster sugar
2 large eggs
4 large, ripe bananas, mashed with a fork
1. Preheat oven to 200C. Grease and line a loaf tin and set aside.
2. In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir through the chocolate.
3. In a larger bowl, mix together the eggs, sugar, vanilla and banana.
4. Gently combine the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and be careful not to overmix.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
6. Cool on a wire rack
I made them a second time as well (baking at the COrrect temperature) and everyone who tried it really liked it!, this recipe is really easy, foolproof and so delicious :O)
You can freeze them and have them during the week (just let it sit at room temperature for a few hrs) or take them into work they should be ready to eat by morning tea time hehe or you can do what i did and just cover in cling wrap and heat up - spread lots of peanut butter , sit back & relax - bon apetit!