Thursday, November 27, 2008

Betty's Soup Kitchen

84 Oxford Street
Darlinghurst NSw 2010
Phone (02) 9360 9698

We decided to find dinner on Oxford Street before heading to the Bloc Party Gig. Walking around Darlinghurst we found a few nice restaurants off the streets from the main road, but i was looking for something cheap & nasty.. cheap & nasty we got!

This place had a high roof, i like this, you don't feel claustrophobic when you look up & around. They had a huge blackboard menu, this looked unchanged, like a set menu they had.

As soon as we sat down we got water, and a wooden cutting board with bread & a large serving of butter. This was soooo good! The bread was so soft, and with that much butter i couldnt help but pile it onto my torn off pieces of bread.



I went with the spinach & veggie pie $8.50, Rick the Lamb Stew $13. & we shared a pumpkin & potato pie $7.50. It came out instantly, very home style cooked indeed.

My pie was topped with mashed potato (reminding me very much of hospital food, something im really sick of). I was expecting some pastry but it was just potato, beans, tomato , tomato i hardly tasted any spinach, & had to top it all off with lots of salt.


The soup, was okay... packet cup'o'soup is alot nicer. & i think it's over priced as well.


Rick's lamb stew, reminded him of Asian home cooked curry, he quite liked it, and again it was topped with mashed potato, and a serving of peas.

Overall, i wouldn't come back here. I wanted to come here cos my name was in the title! I was so full, but the food didn't sit too nicely in my tummy, i regret coming in here to eat instead of the nicer restaurants we walked past.