Monday, October 24, 2011

Armchair Collective (Monavale)


My bestfriend friend took me to a local cafe in her area called "Armchair Collective" for brunch a few months ago - i absolutely loved it! Inside the cafe there are lots of things on display for purchase like kitchen accessories, homewares, flowers, everything interior. They also had an assortment of cakes, breads & muffins to choose from take away or eat-in (with a coffee would be perfect!)

It was about 11am on a saturday morning and the shop was bustling with families, couples, a few people looked like they had just finished a jog or came from the gym, a very positive vibe in the air everyone was chirpy with smiles on their faces, a really great atmosphere for catching up.







I really loved all the flowers that were around, its such a smart way to brighten up the cafe/shop, and to have them available for purchase too, we had this white lily(?) on our table which was sooo pretty.

It took about 15 minutes before we got a table, after a lot of eye hawking people to finish their meals, standing close by looking at things so we didn't look suspicious of stealing their table as soon as they stood up to leave (haha, it felt a bit wierd doing this but it was the only way to get a table!)


soy mocha

A really lovely mocha which i wish was served in a bigger cup! hehe.

pot of chai tea $4.50

This was served in a very stylish set up: on a wooden board with a funny tea pot (that yielded 3-4 cups of tea) with two mini dishes of honey and cinnamon. I didn't try any but Ann is a huge lover of chai and she gave this a thumbs up.

spicy scrambled eggs on soy linseed toast w spinach avocado + roasted tomatoes $16

My eggs were scrambled nicely but i saw no hint of spice at all! The spinach was bland (some kind of dressing would be nice) and my avocado half had the little hard head of pip still attached on it (i find this annoying, do you?). Also, my toast was plain i would've liked some butter but at that point i was just too hungry and just dug in.

the collective baked breakfast of eggs, spinach, beans + sausages $18

Ann's meal was quite substantial and at this price i think its reasonable, she couldn't finish the beans or the sausages though, a very big serving indeed.

I'd love to go back one day and try the "brioche french toast w berries, mascarpone + maple syrup $16" as that sounds delicious! And i'd like to have a look at the pots and teapots again, i just love exploring homeware shops i can't wait to have my own home i'll decorate it so nicely!

On a completely different topic (still food though) here are a few different bento boxes i found online- they are sooo adorable!






18 comments:

Heavenly Ingredients said...

I've only been once but I loved this cafe, such a great feel about it. I went with a friend who is a pastry chef and she was blown away by the brownies.
must go again soon!

Kari said...

Oh my goodness - beautiful images!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I really like it there. We had the BRT and it was SO good! :D

Von said...

The name of the cafe sounds interesting enough to make me want to go there- let alone the atmosphere!! It's a shame your breakfast wasn't that great- but the baked breakfast looks so cool!

I love bento boxes :) wish someone would make one for me....haha- I guess I'll just have to make one for myself one day (I've been saying that to myself for a very long time!)

Sara - Belly Rumbles said...

Love the cast iron teapot that they are using, I bought one when I was in Tokyo earlier this year. Not seen them in Sydney before. I adore how there are flowers everywhere!

Johanna GGG said...

lovely cafe - and I want that computer bento box - how cute!

tori said...

Have heard great things about this place- luckily am heading back to Sydney for a wedding in Avalon in January. Looks like a pretty cheerful spot.

sugarpuffi said...

omg LOVE the last bento box! its so cute! i also love cafes with lots of flowers and and pretty interior :D

Quay Po Cooks said...

This cafe is super cool! I wish there is one here in KL or there is and I did not know about it?

Anonymous said...

Great name for a cafe! One for me to add to the list of places to visit when on my travels next year. You take lovely photos.

Anonymous said...

These photos made my day!

Three-Cookies said...

The windows bento looks cool, at least we know this one will not crash:)

Jennifer (Delicieux) said...

I love the look of the collective baked breakfast. What a fantastic new way to present breakfast.

And those bento boxes are SO cute!!!! I love the cute pink little piggies!

Anna said...

I won't let the bento boxes pass without my comment...They are so adorable! My daughter loved to enumerate the animal and say something about it like name its baby counterpart...when we reached the windows xp logo, my daughter just said computer...LOL!

Nic@diningwithastud said...

Lol! Those bento boxes are fab! haha! The big brekkie does look awesome. Shame yours wasnt great. The brioche sounds delish though

Cooking Quidnunc said...

Delicious food pictures! Making me hungry!

Adrian (Food Rehab) said...

wow, I LIKE the look of them baked eggs! And hahaha to those pics! Your funny emails always cheer me up. LOL

Hotly Spiced said...

I agree about spinach - it definitely needs seasoning.