Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Diggies

This year I've made 2 trips to Wollongong, and on both occasions i have come to this cafe! It was suggested to me from one of my work's customers, and i'm really glad i asked him! Its a cute little cafe sitting right on the beach, with a great view of the water and sand out front, a really nice accompaniment to your meal if you are able to get a window seat (which i did, both times!)




On my first visit i had corn fritters with avocado salsa, with a side of two hashbrowns and 1 egg fried sunny side up (no picture, as it came when i almost finished my food! But, i had ordered it a few minutes after i got my food, i was starving and thought an extra egg might be nice hehe.

I was expecting, well, fritters, not a corn pancake, but it was nice anyway, it lacked a bit of protein, i wish my egg came out abit faster :( But the hashbrowns were nice and crisp, not drenched in oil as some hashbrowns are, just right they were. & my mocha warmed me right up, this was back in April May, and it was a wet day, so it was nice to sip on this while i waited on my meal :)





You can see the lighthouse from the cafe, its a nice 10 minute walk up a hill, where you get a nice view of the ocean, and also some canons on display from a long time ago (you might find some kids straddling them for fun!)

On my 2nd visit it was with Bigbear, we decided to randomly road trip, for lunch, a nice walk, a visit to the Nan tien temple, and then back home - its really nice to get out of Sydney even if its for a little while.

seared ocean trout fillet $22
with sweet potato chips and herbed hollondaise

I wish i had abit more of the herbed hollondaise sauce, & the sweet potato chips were really tasty, it was nice to have them instead of say thich cut potato chips, or roasted potatoes.

steak sandwich $18
on sourdough with caramelized onion, tomato chutney,
garlic aoli and fries

Ian enjoyed his sandwich ( i ordered for him when he went to the bathroom), i tried abit of the bread and it was really nice and crisp! I think they might have pan fried it in some oil before bringing it out.


We both enjoyed our meals, our iced hot chocolate was a nice sweet treat, but the blueberry crumble we got for dessert- really hit the spot! We were pretty full, and decided against getting a second piece (it would've taken us into a foodcoma for the drive back home hehe)







I will come back here the next time i go to Wollongong, i'm sure of it! Hopefully it will be a little warmer as well, so i can go for a swim as well :)



open 7 days from 7:00am

1 cliff road. north beach. wollongong.nsw. australia. 2500

contact@diggies.com.au

http://www.facebook.com/diggies

telephone: 02 42 262688

14 comments:

Aimee said...

Mmm that iced hot chocolate looks good! Definitely keeping this on my list. I always find myself randomly down nearby the Gong but I never know where to eat!

prettyprettyyumyum said...

Blueberry crumble is a good idea - yum! Sounds like a nice weekend road trip... I know what u mean about getting out of Sydney every now and then! :)

lateraleating said...

Awesome thick iced chocolate! All food looks good and you can't beat the view.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I love going to Wollongong too! It's always such a nice drive and relaxing too :)Have you tried Fireworks in Austinmer? :)

tigerfish said...

Window seat is good! Helps in churning out absolutely stunning food photos....oops....confession of a food blogger. :p

Brooke said...

Those photos make me wish I lived around the corner...Too bad I'm not in Australia! I could really go for an iced hot chocolate!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

Thanks for your visit. We went to Wollongong many years ago when visiting family in Sydney, I don't remember eating there though. I must pass on your information. Diane

Hovkonditorn said...

Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog! This sounds like a really cosy place and the food looks delicious!

yummychunklet said...

Everything looks so tasty! What a great meal!

sugarpuffi said...

nawwwwwww~i havent visited wollongong for too long! brings back memories

Nic@diningwithastud.com said...

Iv heard Diggies is meant to be awesome. The salmon looks really good! p.s. I love your wallet :) lol

chopinandmysaucepan said...

It's only 45 minutes from Sydney and such a beautiful drive there. We always stop by on our way down to the south coast.

msihua said...

I love corn fritters! And that image of that light tower reminds me of a giant coffee cup! Hahahha

Makan1976 said...

Nice Pictures of food indeed. I am hungry...again :)