Sunday, April 10, 2011

Deep fried prawns in golden egg yolk batter

One of my friend's one day randomly messages me "deepfried prawns in salted egg yolk batter". At first i could not think how this would be nice, it was the first time i'd ever heard of anything like it "salted egg yolk batter" but i listened to his advice and ordered it for the first time at Supermeal in the city.

And..

WOW WOW WOW how good is this ?!?!? I demolished more then half and finished off like 3 bowls of rice.

Ever since then I've been ordering it wherever its available, i can't stop thinking about it really, it's just so good. I haven't even tried the crab r lobster in the same batter, just the prawns, i think it's the best cos you don't have to pick it out from any shells etc.

Supermeal Chinese Restaurant
39 Goulburn Street, Haymarket


Ironchef chinese seafood restaurant
84 Broomfield Street, Cabramatta


SUperdish Chinese Restaurant
19/1 HUghes Street, Cabramatta

Dragonbowl Seafood restaurant
11 Canley Vale Road, Canley Vale


My favourite by far is the first one i tried at Supermeal. The prawns werent soggy from the oil, they were crisp, and tasted very salted-egg-yolky, a sign that compared to all the other restaurants, they did not SKIMP on the main important ingredient!!

Second place is Dragonbowl, followed by Superdish, and lastly Ironchef.

WHo else has tried this before? Or am i the last one to know about it?? haha..

14 comments:

joey@forkingaroundsydney said...

I don't think I've tried this dish before, but it looks tasty! Good to know your fave is close to us in Chinatown. :-)

Dolly said...

love the color.

Maris (In Good Taste) said...

Deep fried anything is good but these look absolutely delicious!

chocolatesuze said...

hehe i love salted duck egg yolk! it makes everything so delish even tofu!

Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...

I love egg yolk prawns. You can get some tasty soft shell crab at Makan at Alice's sand also smothered around crab at New Shanghai, Ashfield.

Adrian in Food Rehab said...

Totally dig this dish...I always order it when going out for Chinese. I know what you mean about it's addictiveness

Tina@foodboozeshoes said...

Yummo - but the salt and yolk are so bad for cholesterol...! Every now and then is fine though :)

Min {Honest Vanilla} said...

Oh looks so golden and delicious! Even if I don't I'll get around to drop by, just thought it looks too delicious that I must comment :P

Maria said...

I tried these once when our friends wanted to order them at a Chinese restaurant. Sorry, but not a fan, I don't seem to have a taste for anything deep fried! :-(

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I had the same reaction when I tried salted egg batter for the first time. I thought it sounded strange but it tasted wonderful!

Jenn Brigole said...

I've no problem eating this with cups of rice too! But yeah. To indulge once every two weeks would be healthier. :)

Angie Lives to Eat (and Cook)! said...

I'm the same! Didn't think it sounded all too wonderful but when I tasted it I changed my mind. First time was late last year at Super Bowl! Havn't been out to any Asian restaurants recently so havn't been able to eat them again, will have to soon!

Xinmei @ Pudding Pie Lane said...

The salted egg yolk batter sounds really nice! I love how you also ate 3 bowls of rice to go with the yumminess of the prawn dish :)

chopinandmysaucepan said...

Look delicious! What fails to amaze me is why Chinese restaurants even bother putting all that useless garnish like Engish parsley, wilted cabbage and crackers around the plate to make things look good when their service has anything left to be desired.