Thursday, November 4, 2010

Tea fruit & Oat muffins

I'm a bit of a gym junkie, and I eat quite well five out of seven days of the week (weekends i like to splurge on the good stuff!)

So when i came across this recipe, i saw two ingredients that i already had in the pantry - oats & dried fruit.

To feel less guilty about eating these i halved the oil & only used 75grams of sugar (half white half brown), and used English breakfast tea bags (as i didn't have any early grey).

And the result - a moist healthy muffin (that also went really well with a small dab of strawberry jam :)


Ingredients:

300g Plain Flour
75g Caster Sugar/brownsugar
70ml Vegetable Oil
100ml Milk
1 English breakfast Teabag
2 Large Eggs
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
20g Rolled Oats + more for the topping
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 apple, grated
1 banana, mashed
115g mixed dried fruit

Directions:

Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease a 12-hole muffin tin with non-stick spray.

Heat the milk in the microwave for 1 minute. Tear open the teabag and pour the contents into the hot milk. Allow to infuse for at least 5 minutes. Don’t strain the tea leaves from the milk.

In a medium bowl, hand whisk the oil, sugar and eggs. Add the mashed banana, cinnamon and milk, mixing well.
In a large bowl, add the flour, baking powder, oats, apple, dried fruits, stirring well. Make a well in the middle and pour in the wet ingredients. Fold in the wet and dry ingredients with a wooden spoon, until just combined. Do not overmix.

Completely fill each muffin hole with batter. Sprinkle a few more oats on top to decorate. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.


I've been having oats for breakfast this week and its so yummy! Rolled oats (not the quick kind) with soy milk, brown sugar, and cinnamon, its just a lovely start to the day!

8 comments:

Kristy Sayer-Jones @ Southern In Law said...

These look really good!
I love oats! and I love starting the day with a yummy bowl of oatmeal. I definitely don't like boring oats though - I'm all about creative add-ins :P
Like this mornings Banana, Mango and Blueberry Oats :P

A cupcake or two said...

Your muffins look delicious. I like how tea changes the flavour of desserts. Your less guilty alternatives are subtle. I could eat these for breakfast every morning.

Gastronomy Gal said...

ooo good one Betty. I would eat muffins for breakfast! or healthy muesli bars0 maybe I shall start with these next week.

Angie Lives to Eat (and Cook)! said...

I try and eat well 5 out of 7 days too... or 4 and a half =D Wish I was a gym junkie too then that way I wouldn't feel so guilty everytime I do splurge.

Your muffins look great! And what's even better is that they are some what healthy =p

Von said...

I'm not healthy at all....haha- I eat junk 7 days a week =) But I do occasionally eat healthy things- because I like them.....these muffins look really yummy!!

Amber said...

That first photo is just gorgeous - so warm and inviting. My stomach is grumbling :(

And a beautiful combination of many of my favourite things rolled into one cute muffin. I'm not really a muffin-baking person, but I may just try out your recipe. A perfect breakfast meal, I think...

Viv said...

ohh this is my kind of muffins for sure...wholesome ingredients...i always half my sugar as well :P
never thought about adding tea to them before tho...great idea!

Emma @CakeMistress said...

So good to know they still work great with half the oil and sugar. Now i feel less guilty when I eat them :)